Company MartecUniversity University of EdinburghKTP Associate Keith MilneFunding Innovate UKSummary: Transforming new product development (NPD), using architectural design and digital fabrication (steel products/door-frames etc)The project: Offering a complete design, manufacture and installation service for steel goods to the construction industry – secure entry systems, passive fire systems, architectural metalwork and facades – Martec wanted to create its next generation of products, expand its market into new sectors, enhance support for clients and specifiers using architectural and digital technologies such as BIM and 3D modelling and embed new knowledge and technology within the business.It partnered with a multi-disciplinary team at University of Edinburgh and a talented Associate with a background in Architecture to achieve this.The impact:
- Dramatic growth in New Product Development: Martec seen as being a complete solutions provider and has created the new Premier Vision Entry System, a complete system, unique in the marketplace
- Martec has seen a geographic as well as market and sector change, opening up opportunities in areas where they were not previously established. Having expanded into London Martec is now working on its seventh significantly sized London project, a multitude of smaller ones with more large projects in the pipeline.
- The products that Martec offers now differ greatly than those prior to the KTP and this development and transition has been facilitated by the background of the Associate and the development of new products during the KTP.
- Development of new supply chains, as a result of the NPD, with two world leading suppliers has allowed Martec to provide new offerings. These relationships are leading to new opportunities through specifications, recommendations and shortlisting’s as trusted partners of these companies.
- Cultivating relationships with leading architects, through the Associate’s background, has allowed for new forms of business leads via specification by architects. Martec continues to build these relationships on projects going forwards, having just completed its third large project with one practice of architects.
Do you follow KTP on twitter? If not, do @ktn_ktp
Business advancement with AI made possible through KTP24 March 2023
Stories from Women in KTP: the Power of Collaboration07 March 2023
Stories from Women in KTP: celebrating International Women's Day28 February 2023
Collaboration drives innovation - discover more about Knowledge Transfer Partnerships27 February 2023
Want to discuss your project?
Artificial Intelligence (AI) technologies are transforming the way we live and work and driving real...Read More
From footwear to cell culture, kit homes to biotech, we hear from women leading innovation-focussed ...Read More
The power of collaboration: in the first of our mini series, we hear from leading business women abo...Read More
Innovation is the beating heart of progressive, successful companies; so making it happen is key. &...Read More
Thank you to all who joined us both online and in Liverpool for a dazzling ceremony at St. George’...Read More
In the second part of the Future Leaders finalists blog, we take a look at selected Associates who h...Read More